Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Days I Love my job

The truth is that I thank my lucky stars most days for landing me where I am. Some days however shine out like stars that are just a little closer to home. Today was one of those days, due to a couple of moments in class.

Teaching an intro to acting class to a group of people, most of whom had never done anything like this before, was a little scary. I usually find that I am more comfortable around those with a cursory knowledge. Today however, people who were terrified of even standing in front of other people, wrote their own monologues, rehearsed them, learned them and performed them onstage. It was beautiful. It may not have been brilliant, but it was the world to them to see them recognize what they had accomplished.

Then giving them just a little bit of direction and watching the words they wrote and the characters they created come to life was an amazing feeling. They go on with their day and their lives don't change drastically, but perhaps there is a sense of ... ability, that wasn't there before.

I love moments like that.

1 comment:

Queen of Hearts said...

me to , thats wonderful. you got to share a little magic of theatre with people who would have never experienced it otherwise.